STEP 7.0 : AUTHORITY CONTROL
In November 2010, Backstage created several authority control options for processing RDA bibliographic records (040 $e). Since that time we have refined these options with help from our clients. Currently we have 5 separate options to choose from:
- 1 - AACR2 & RDA against AACR2 only
- 2 - AACR2 against AACR2; ignore RDA
- 3 - AACR2 against AACR2; RDA against RDA
- 4 - AACR2 & RDA against AACR2 (1st), RDA (2nd)
- 5 - AACR2 against AACR2 (1st), RDA (2nd); RDA against RDA (1st), AACR2 (2nd)
Option 1 is our current default, which requires no action on the part of our clients. However, if a client is interested in RDA authorities, our recommendation would be Option 5, which represents the current LC/PCC standard.
Regardless of which authority control option is chosen, there are several of our bibliographic validation rules that are not run on RDA bib records. This includes:
- Subfield Updates and Deletes (namely any rules that remove relator terms)
- Field Conversions and Additions
- GMD Standardization
In order to facilitate authority matching in RDA bib records, Backstage has created a separate master authority file of RDA authority records. This includes any authority record with 040 $e rda as well as any AACR2 authority record with 7XX x4.
- Step 7.1 - RDA Authority Control
1.0 - 2.0 - 3.0 - 4.0 - 5.0 - 6.0 - 7.0